Classes & Partnerships
Class with Namory Keita is a wonderful opportunity to study the Djembe & the traditional full ensemble of the Doundoun family, straight from the village of Sangbarala, Guinea, West Africa. Namory’s infectious joy for playing and teaching will inspire you! Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned player, you are sure to have a great learning experience!
Please make sure to contact the venues below for more details. During the winter months Namory may be back home charging up in Guinea, leaving class with one of his very capable students.
Namory’s classes are $15 pr class / $13 pr class for purchase of 4 or more
There are extra drums available to use in class if you do not have one. Please contact Namory to make sure a drum is reserved for you if you are a new student.
The Dance Hall
7 Walker St, Kittery, ME 03904
Thursdays (note: Ult Mundane & advanced students teach this class when Namory is touring. This always offers a treat and opportunity to garner tips from those that come before you - as they have learned to learn from the masters!
As the fall equinox arrives, I can feel the shift in seasons. I hope you're all well and settling in to routines. Over the weekend Namory and several of us from class participated in an open house at York Land Trust. What a treat to be outside in a beautiful space drumming, dancing, and singing!
- September 20 and 27 - class with Namory and Liz
- October 4 - no class
- October 11 and 18 - class with Namory and Liz
- October 25 - class with Namory and special guest, Seny Daffe (Dundun dance class - reserve your drum ahead!)
- Friday, October 5 - Sunday, October 7
- Guinean, Malian, and Senegalese drum and dance classes - including class with Youssouf Koumbassa
- Friday, October 19 - Sunday, October 21
- Workshops in traditional and contemporary African rooted dance
- Performance on Friday evening
- Friday, November 2
- Namory and I are co-facilitating this wonderful event (and then driving to Burlington, VT)
- Come eat a home cooked meal then drum and dance with community in Durham.
- Dinner will start at 5pm and is followed by drumming and dancing
- Free and open to the community
- Friday, November 2 - Sunday, November 4
- Guinean, Malian, Senegalese classes - including class with Seny Daffe
- The trip runs from January 1 to 22 - join us for whatever portion of that you're able to!
Liz, Namory and the dancers and drummers from Seacoast West African Dance and Drum, are available for your workshops, classes, performances, and residencies. Contact them for more information: (603) 969-5264
Beg/Adv Beg Drum Class - Portland, ME
Ongoing - 6 pm - Mondays
Join us! Its wicked fun.
Stay tuned for upcoming Advanced Djembé & Doundoun focused workshops.
Portland New Church
302 Stevens Ave, Portland, ME 04101
Marita Kennedy-Castro’s West African Dance Class for All Levels is every Tuesday evening from 6 - 7:30 PM. Namory Keita plays for this class along with his advanced students. Join the fun!
Private dance lessons available. Contact Marita for details and check out the site at www.EmbodyTheRhythm.com
Marita and Namory have created New Moon Ensemble to bring West African dance and drum to the stage, schools, universities, events and ceremonies.